What is TMS Treatment?
Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is a safe and effective treatment that uses MRI strength pulses to treat the cause of mood disorders like depression. Unlike medication, which only treats symptoms, TMS targets the neurological problem: disconnected neural networks in the brain. During outpatient, non-invasive sessions, Salience treatments encourage positive brain activity to reconnect these networks, helping to create long-term relief from depression and often other mood disorders.
Connect with the Facts
- TMS is FDA approved for treatment-resistant depression. If other approaches haven’t helped you truly recover from your depression, TMS is a new option that utilizes safe, cutting-edge technology.
- Salience remission rates for TMS patients range from 50%-60% compared to only 6.9% for patients with a fourth trial of antidepressant medication, as found in a collaborative study funded by the National Institute of Mental Health.
- Within seven weeks of treatment, approximately 75% of our patients experience greater than 50% improvement with their depressive symptoms.
- Salience is a leading expert in TMS treatment. Our highly trained treatment team has performed over 100,000 treatments to date.
- Our staff of treatment coordinators, physicians, and patient advocates know that a basic, one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t meet patient needs. Unlike other TMS treatment providers, our protocols are customized for you through comprehensive care that fits into your schedule in order to maximize your results.
- Reconnect to your life. Patients often experience other benefits, such as the ability to focus, restful sleep, better cognition, and improved memory.
- Resume normal activities immediately. Average treatment visits are approximately 30 minutes. That's less time than your average cardio or yoga class.
- Make empowered decisions with the help of our experts. You can combine multiple treatment approaches, like therapy, nutrition, or medication with TMS.
- Predict treatment costs accurately with transparent insurance coverage before you start.
- Get back to your life quickly with minimal short-term side effects.
Several weeks into the treatment, my mood started to shift for the better… I was finally able to get back to the things I love: running, writing, and hanging out with friends.— John S.
How Our Safe Treatment Works
To directly target the cause of depression, we strengthen the salience network, which regulates your thoughts, behaviors, and emotions. This network’s deficiency – or lack of communication between your neurotransmitters – often results in depression symptoms, as well as symptoms of other mood disorders.
TMS treatment safely uses MRI strength pulses to increase communication and connectivity, and improve neural activity within the salience network. By restoring this network, or improving communication between your neurotransmitters, people experience improvement with their depression and often symptoms associated with anxiety, PTSD, sleep, attention, and cognition.
During sessions, you’ll recline in a comfy chair with a small magnetic coil resting lightly on your forehead while being relaxed by chatting with our staff or listening to music. There’s little to no downtime, and you can drive yourself to and from treatments.Request an Appointment
Understand Insurance Coverage for TMS Treatment
Focus on reconnecting to your life, not your insurance. Most major insurance carriers cover TMS treatment. Our patient advocates quickly handle details, payment options, and prior authorization before getting started with treatment.Learn More
Frequently Asked Questions
Will insurance cover TMS treatment?
Yes. Most insurance carriers cover TMS treatment. However, some insurance plans only cover the cost of treatment on a case-by-case basis. Before treatment begins, your personal patient advocate will verify coverage and review your insurance benefits with you, making sure you know the cost before getting started.
Are there any side effects?
A major benefit of TMS treatment is that it doesn't cause the common side effects associated with antidepressants. Some patients report mild discomfort during the procedure; however, these effects are temporary.
How will TMS treatments impact my use of medication?
Patients usually stay on their regular medication throughout treatment. TMS treatment may not eliminate the need to continue taking antidepressants. However, it may reduce the amount of medication you take, essentially minimizing the side effects associated with them. Based on your response to treatment, your prescribing doctor can help you determine what is right for you.
How long do treatments take?
Our average treatment visit lasts 30 minutes and the length depends upon your needs and customized treatment plan. As a non-invasive form of treatment, there is no downtime. So, you can return to normal activity immediately after each session. Typically, patients undergo 36 sessions over seven weeks of treatment.
Antidepressants have made my depression worse. Will TMS treatments do the same?
When treatment is completed as prescribed, there is no evidence that TMS treatment can worsen the symptoms of depression on a permanent basis.